Saturday, December 06, 2008

We survived.........

Thanksgiving 2008 was one that my whole family won't soon forget. At least certain parts of it......Our travels to Missouri started the Friday night before Thanksgiving week when we drove to Jacksonville, IL. Four hours into our trip, everything seems okay. 2:30 a.m. Madelyn wakes from her less than restful sleep between us in a KING sized bed sweating with fever. One might think that a KING sized bed is plenty big for a Mom, a Dad, and a 25 lb. toddler, but it wasn't.

Luckily, I packed the ear thermometer and we soon found out that she had a temperature of 101.3. The only problem was, the baby Motrin was downstairs and outside the hotel in the freezing cold car. Brendon was the one that got suckered into going out to get the medicine, twice! The first time he didn't get the eye dropper thing to actually dispense the medicine. At this point our trip turned into a not-so-fun-family adventure.

We got back on the road early Saturday morning and drove to Linwood, KS, where my brother and his family live. Since we were outside playing with the goats, cows, and the "very-ride able"donkey Madelyn seemed okay. It was only once we went inside that the crying and fever came back. I made the mistake to assume that an Urgent Care might stay open past 4:00 p.m. on a Saturday. Why would a kid get sick during the day? Everyone knows that happens in the middle of the night, that is when you need Urgent Care! Well, we ended up at the Oak Park Mall at the only Urgent Care that stays open until 9:00 p.m. only to find out that her ears and throat were all fine. Not really what we expected to hear, but at least we could hope that the fever would stay low and go away in a day or two.

The next morning it was off to Poppy Joe and Grandma's house in Nevada. This portion of the trip was going well until we turned on the Little Mermaid movie. Not a favorite just yet. We couldn't figure out why she was crying and yelling in the back seat and she wouldn't say anything. Finally as a last resort Brendon turned the movie off and Madelyn sighed with relief. As we arrived in Nevada her fever was still with us and she wanted nothing to do with her grandparents. To make this week-long story shorter let me say that finally on Wednesday we took her back to the doctor in Nevada and found out that she had an ear infection in the left ear. Being a small town the nurse recognized us from our trip to Nevada in July when Madelyn managed to get a DOUBLE EAR INFECTION! We love to visit family but I pray for our sake and that of our whole extended family that we don't have to visit the doctor over Christmas!!

Please Santa, all I want for Christmas is a healthy family and safe travels!!

No comments: